To produce molecules (oxygen, nitrogen, hydrogen) in a more efficient and environment friendly way, our research teams improve the industrial competitiveness of the factories while minimizing energy consumption and the impact on the environment, optimizing costs, manufacturing yield, reliability, and while ensuring operating safety:
- Cryogenic production of air and rare gases
- Methane reforming to produce hydrogen and syngas while retrieving CO2 (Cryocap™)
- Chemical conversion of syngas and hydrogen to produce fuel and chemicals
- Separation and purification processes - adsorption, absorption, distillation, membranes
Design and manufacturing
Researchers and experts develop new gas mixture to improve implementation of new manufacturing processes and technologies and imagine new ones such as:
- Additive manufacturing (FAIR project)
- Collaborative robotics
- Industrial vision
Development of gas applications relying on biology and food sciences. Cryogenics and gas injection skills, combined with industrial expertise, enable to develop innovative technologies and processes that require gases, such as:
- Water treatment
- Paper pulp production
- Biofuel production
- Food preservation and freezing
Fine chemical synthesis and surface science
Our team gather unique pool of skills dedicated to surface treatment and coating required in the following industries: electronics, photovoltaics, LED, glass coating.
- Synthesis of organic and organometallic compounds
- Study of material interfaces and plasma processes
- Development of new processes
In an Open Innovation approach, Air Liquide is a founder member of the Institut de transition énergétique IPVF (Institut Photovoltaïque d’île de France), for the energy transition.
Development of processes and design of specific burners for oxy-combustion to create efficient applications for customers. By replacing air with oxygen, the oxy-combustion process enables industrial players to reduce their CO2 and NOx (nitrogen oxides) emissions, such emissions are harmful to mankind and the environment. This technology won the COP21 Innovation Prize in the late 2015.
With a good knowledge of materials and their behavior, and by mastering their properties, we can increase processes’ and applications’ efficiency, lifetime, reliability, and safety, as well as deliver new offers:
- Optimization of functional materials
- Surface functionalization
- Manufacturing technologies and their impact on material properties
- Compatibility of materials with their environment
- Mechanical properties and integrity of structural materials
The FAIR project illustrates the application of these competencies applied to additive manufacturing.
Study of the separation, identification and quantification of gases, liquids and solids. Development and application of new or existing methods, instrumentation and strategies to obtain information about the composition and nature of the sample:
- Development of mixtures for environmental compliance (automobile, energy, industries...)
- Tolerance improvement in gas mixtures for optimized processes
Development of innovative solutions supporting supply chain optimization, production units, and connected devices. Skills dedicated to delivering increased safety and performance, and opening new markets:
- Process advanced control
- Operational research and logistics
- Data analysis
- Embedded intelligence, sensors
- Digital modeling and simulation
Healthcare, a dedicated medical team
Our approach in medical R&D brings together physicians, engineers, pharmacists, lung experts, specialists in anesthesiology and in pain management.
Our interdisciplinary team work in fundamental and exploratory research, manage international pre-clinical and clinical studies in different fields: respiratory, anesthesiologists, analgesia.